The City Council, by passage of Resolution No. 2221, offers a utility discount program for qualified low-income seniors and low-income disabled citizens who receive sanitary sewer, garbage collection or storm water utility service from the City.

Do I qualify for the program?

The basic eligibility criteria as defined in the resolution includes the following definitions: 
  • Low-Income Senior Citizen - A person who is sixty-two (62) years of age or older. 
  • Low-Income Disabled Citizen - (1) A person qualifying for special parking privileges under RCW 46.16.381 (1)(a-f); (2) a blind person as defined in RCW 74.18.020; or, (3) a disabled, handicapped or incapacitated person as defined under any other state or federal program.
 Persons in Household                                              Income Limit                                        
 1  $21,750
 2  $24,850
 3  $27,950
 4  $33,550
  • "Income" or "Total Income" - includes all salary, wages, interest, dividends and other earnings which are reportable for federal income tax purposes, and cash payments such as reimbursements received from pensions, annuities, social security and public assistance programs. Also included in income are any contributions received from any family member or other person who is living in the same residence as the applicant for reduced utility rates, and who is helping defray such applicant's living costs. 

If I qualify for the program, how much of a reduction will I receive? 

Customers qualifying for the utility rate relief program shall receive a 50% reduction on the sanitary sewer residential base rate and a 50% reduction on the single family residential rate for garbage/recycling service. In addition, all applicants qualifying for the City’s utility rate relief program shall be exempt from storm water utility charges.

How do I apply for the program? 

Residents who wish to apply for the discount program should complete the rate relief application listed below, either by printing it at home and bringing it to the Utilities Customer Service Counter at the Finance Department, or coming into the Finance Department to pick up an application. Complete the application, attach the appropriate documentation, and return the form in person or by mail to the Finance Office, Longview City Hall, P.O. Box 128, 1525 Broadway, Longview, WA 98632.

Examples of appropriate documents for low-income seniors might include Form SSA-1099 from the Social Security Administration, or an individual's bank statement if benefits are directly deposited into their bank account. An appropriate document for low income disabled citizens would be a statement issued by the Social Security Administration stating income as well as disability. A doctor's statement is also acceptable. 

If I have additional questions, whom should I call? 

You may phone the City Utility Billing department at 360-442-5099 or reach us at our e-mail address for further information on this program.

Last updated: 5/16/2017 1:40:36 PM